Our History

Our Story Begins in the Roaring 1920s
On March 4, 1926, James E. Meighan, brother to Thomas Meighan – leading man of the silver screen throughout the 20s and 30s- donated land for the construction of a new Spanish Colonial Revival-style hotel befitting New Port Richey’s growing popularity with arts, society, and sports luminaries.
The Hacienda opened on February 5, 1927 with Ed Wynn- a popular comedian and radio star of the time- serving as Master of Ceremonies. The Hacienda and New Port Richey became known as “Hollywood East” due the myriad of celebrities that enjoyed the town and hotel, including reported sightings of Thomas Meighan, Gloria Swanson, Lupe Velez, Charlie Chaplin, Johnny Cash and Ann Harding, among other notables. The Hacienda was a popular gathering spot for sports and entertainment figures for many years. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on October 24, 1996.
Historic New Port Richey Landmarks
- Name: The Hacienda - 1927Location: 5621 Main StreetHistorical Significance: Home-away-from-home for visiting luminaries: film stars, writers, sports figures, and more.
- Name: Sims Park - 1916Location: Bank Street and Circle BoulevardHistorical Significance: First known as Enchantment Park until deeded to the City by George Sims, it’s the center of community activity, with special events and festivals throughout the year.
- Name: Richey Suncoast Theatre - 1926Location: 6237 Grand BoulevardHistorical Significance: Originally the Thomas Meighan Theatre, it now houses live theater productions year-round.
- Name: The West Pasco Historical Society - 1915Location: 6431 Circle BoulevardHistorical Significance: Originally the two-room Seven Springs Schoolhouse from about 1915 to 1925, this historic building now houses a museum and library.
- Name: Our Lady Queen of Peace Church - 1919Location: 6431 Circle BoulevardHistorical Significance: New Port Richey’s first Catholic church, barely seating 100 parishioners. Now owned by the City and moved to Sims Park, Peace Hall hosts weddings and special events.
- Name: Pasco Building - 1921Location: 6236 Grand BoulevardHistorical Significance: This office and retail building is distinctive for its multi-sided copper cupola.
- Name: Sims Land Office - 1916Location: 5728 Main StreetHistorical Significance: Constructed of sandstone brick, this building was the office of City benefactor George R. Sims.
- Name: Arcade Building - 1927Location: 5805 Main StreetHistorical Significance: Featuring a charming courtyard and fountain, this building houses offices and shops.
- Name: Chasco Inn - 1926Location: 5743 Main StreetHistorical Significance: Now retail space, this building still sports its distinctive pierced/arched roof detail.



























